Feb 9, 2013

10K Thoughts- Inside my Head

The 5K is starting, maybe I should have signed up for it instead.
I'm freezing.
Why are some people in shorts...it's 38-ish degrees.
Should I wear gloves?
Should I carry a water bottle.
Race starts.

Don't fall, don't trip.
Start your watch.
Start music.
Put gloves on.
Don't go too fast, you will kill yourself before the end.
Wait, what is this?
A hill? On the first mile?
Where's Laura? Where's Meredith?
I knew they were fast but I don't even see them anymore.
Oh, there's my cousin. She's a super duper great runner so as long as I can see her, I'm doing well.
Cars are ZOOMING by.
I can only imagine how mad they are that they are being stopped on a green light.

Mile 2.
Okay, still a great pace.
I can see my cousin still.
Average pace is around 9:30.
Who am I?
I never run this fast.
I can't feel my feet it's so cold.
No, but really my feet are numb.
Don't stop, get it get it.
Think about the blog post I'm gonna write when I get done with this.
Think about crossing the finish line.
Quitting is not an option.
Quitting is not an option.
Why is there a little girl running?
She must be like K&A's age.
And why is she passing me?
There's another kid.
A boy around 12....of course he's fast too.
Shocker.
Water. Don't slow down, just drink it while running.
Water up my nose, I'm going to drown.

Mile 3.
If this were a 5K, I'd be almost done.
Instead I'm almost halfway.
Pregnant lady passes me.
Really?
Keep running, keep running.
I'm getting hot now.
Still can't feel my legs. But I'm getting use to them being numb.
Why are so many people passing me?
I'm maintaining my same pace, why do they have so much energy?
I should have started in the back so that I could at least pass a few people.
A cute little blonde who has a hair bow in passes me.
A girl with the sickest figure ever passes me, and she is barely breathing heavy.
A guy in man-leggings passes me.

Mile 4.
Only 2 miles left.
My back hurts.
Maybe I'm pregnant.
I'm alone.
Seriously, am I last??
**Turns back to look**
No, there are tons of people back there.
I guess I'm just slower than the fast people but faster than the slow people.
At least I'm not last.

Mile 5.
An old lady passes me.
She must be at least 100.
And she looks like she has been running for at least 95 years.
A girl in a tutu passes me.
But she has on a running shirt, so that means she runs a lot, right?
That makes it okay.
A couple passes me. The girl is wearing a fleece vest, seriously?
I'm dying.
And sweating.
I'm holding my gloves in my hands, my headband is around my neck.
And I swear if it didn't slow me down, I would take my shirt off.
The guy that passes has on a shirt that says Marathon on it.
He ran a marathon?
That must mean I'm hanging with some big dogs, right?
I got this.

Mile 6.
Oh crap, I thought I was only running 6.
Duh Lora, a 5K is 3.12 miles so of course a 10K isn't only 6.
Maybe you should have googled how many miles it was before signing up.
Almost there.
Another hill? Holy crap there are a lot of heels.
Run hard.
Think about posting your time on IG.
You do NOT want it to be over 1 hour, 15 minutes.
That is my goal, nothing over.
I can see the finish line.
I did it, I'm doing it.

Stop watch.
Stop running.
I can't feel my legs.
My back hurts.
My feet hurt.
But I did it.

1 hour, 5 minutes.
10:30 average pace.
Better than expected.

And now, I'm going to find a sticker for a 10K.
Cause what good is running a race and not getting a sticker?
Pin It Now!

22 comments:

  1. You are awesome and never fail to crack me up!! Great job and Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I love reading your thoughts. They sound so much like what I would be thinking!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTG! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Felt like I was there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw a girl in a tutu. Saw the woman with the hairbow. That was weird. Saw the little girl. Where are her parents? Yay it's over!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock!!! That is an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock!!! That is an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! Makes me want to join you for your next one, but I'm pretty sure that when I turn around there wouldn't be anybody behind me. Are tutus a sign of weakness. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Water up my nose, I'm going to drown made me choke with laughter.

    GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! "Water in my nose, Im drowning," that's what I think all the time!! Haha!! Awesome job girl! Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A one hundred year old bitty passed you...I died laughing.

    AWESOME JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Atta girl! I feel like that every dang race! Congrats on your great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the sticker part!! My first half marathon they did not give medals...I was so mad:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait to go Lora! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!! That's an amazing time and those were some awesome thoughts :) You are so inspiring! I have a 5K coming up and after reading this I'm ready to start training HARD! Thanks girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so funny. You did great! Way to rock that 10k.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome!

    I'm from the Memphis blog group. Nice to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Go get you a sticker girl you deserve it!!!

    Also I need to know what earbuds you use because mine wont stay in my damn ears!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on finishing your first 10K! And you had a great time too, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome girl!! You should be so proud!! Do you normally run regularly, and longer distances like that?
    Also, I laughed at the "my back hurts, maybe I'm pregnant". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. AWESOME job!!!! Love the thought process play-by-play!!!!

    ReplyDelete