Aug 26, 2011

I'll Always Remember Third Grade.....

I'll always remember third grade. Not the time I was in third grade, (although that was the year I had one of my all time favorite teachers), but the year that K&A were third graders. Yes, I am talking about this year. And yes, it is still only like the second week of school. Not the point people, let's focus.

I'll always remember that this is the year that they convinced their grandmother to buy them their first bras. I say the word "bras" plural for a reason. This is how they refer to one bra. In plural form. Want to know why? Well, in their words: (in response to me correcting them and telling them the word was "bra") "nuh-uh, it's BRAS, cause there's two of them Mom!" **holding both hands up and pointing towards their chest** I had to hold my breath to keep from laughing. And ya can't argue with 'em....there are "two of  'em", so in our house, we use the plural form.

I'll always remember third grade becuase it's the first year that they started to come into my room every morning and ask me "will you iron my hair please mom?". No, they don't mean like my mom did back in 1892, I mean the 70s or whenever, when she actually ironed her hair....they mean they want me to straighten it. Ahem, their hair would NEVER do anyting but straighten on it's own, but using the flat iron obviously makes them look/feel much cuter. With this being said, I would like to add that I am sure all of my coworkers will remember this year as well, the year that I stopped having time to flatiron my own hair because I was busy "ironing" theirs. Thank goodness for ponytail holders......

I will always remember third grade as the year that they started testing each other. They will ask each other spelling and vocabulary words on the car ride home and only about 7 out of 10 times does this turn into an argument. But hey, those 3 other times are extremely helpful to me.

I'll always remember third grade as the year that BOYS ARE EVERYWHERE. Or better yet, K&A discovered that they can smell one within a 10 mile radius. We can't go anywhere without spotting cute boys. I do not remember being that boy crazy when I was their age.....I mean yes, probably starting around 5th grade until about say a year or two ago. But not in 3rd grade. I did love the conversation that we had last night at the dinner table. Kate has informed me that her new boyfriend is in the 4th grade. She thinks this is funny. Alex thinks it's funny because the boy doesn't even know he is her boyfriend. (Details, details) I informed Kate that when I was in the 3rd grade, FH was in the 6th grade. Their jaws dropped.

I'll always remember third grade as the year that Alex improved her vocabulary. For instance,  last night as Alex stepped out of the shower, I noticed that she had a big tattoo across her stomach. I looked at her as if she had lost her mind. She looked at me completely innocent and said "What? No one can see it so it's not inappropriate." She also likes to use the word "literally". For instance, while waiting on dinner "I am starving to death, Mom. Like literally."

There are so many ways that I will always remember third grade and I know that it has just begun. What I want to know is that after 3rd grade, it's still 4th grade, right? Cause it sure does feel like they are skipping right to Junior High...... Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment