Jan 8, 2013

That's Just my Baby (Step) Daddy

It's Tell Me About It Tuesday.
So let me tell you about my baby (step) daddy....

Helene in Between

Let's be real.
Dating as a single mom is non existant.
And scary.
You have to find a man that will love you and who will love your kids.
Who accepts you as a package.
Who can deal with seeing you only every other weekend until he meets your kids.

When I was single, I didn't date much.
I took the opportunity to do one million and one girls' nights.
Sure, we were interested in guys and that's pretty much all we talked about....but I knew what it was like to be married. And I knew the main thing I missed during that time was hanging with girlfriends.
And honestly, hanging out with friends was what I was interested in most.
I was SO LUCKY that almost 85% of my friends were single at the time I was. Boy did we have fun.

When I met FH, I knew he was the one.
I named him FH on about our second date.
{FH=Future Husband}
But our schedules were crazy busy.
I was a single mom, worked basically a full time job, and I was in school. So yeah, there was no time.
Oh, and he had two jobs, one of which was at night.
We would see each other every other weekend since I didn't want to introduce him to the girls right away.
And it was hard.
We missed each other.
But we fell in love this way, and it's so easy to get to know one another, like inside and out, when all you can do is talk.
I bet we sent millions of texts the first couple of months.
Long texts.
And had long phone calls.

I was SO NERVOUS when I introduced FH to K&A.
Let's be honest, I knew I was introducing them to their future stepdad.
And he was the first guy that I ever introduced them to.
They were young and I had no idea how they would take it.

The first time I told them I had a boyfriend was because there were a dozen roses that I had to explain.
They soon asked me if he was Chinese.
I had no idea why....but later found out it was because he slept during the day and worked at night, and they know that "China people" had daytime during our nighttime....pretty smart thinking actually.

Needless to say, the girls grew to love him as much as I loved him.
And FH, well, he knocked it out of the ballpark.
When I say this man is amazing, the word just doesn't do him justice.
He has patience with the girls when I want to pull my hair out.
He helps them with homework when I would rather just do the homework myself.
He is EVERYTHING that I could have asked for in a man, a husband, and a stepdad.


He teaches the girls things that they wouldn't know if they were just living with their dear ole Mom.

Like how to grill...


Thank goodness they can cook for me now.

And how to cut the grass...


How to sit down and cuddle.....


How to fish....

And how to just have fun in general....


He introduced Alex to sushi...and that NEVER would have happened if it were up to me...

He has patience to say yes when they want to help, even if it makes the task take a lot longer with their "help"....


He taught them to shoot guns and celebrated when they killed a can dead. Taught them about gun safety and stood in the freezing weather with them so I could take pictures from inside....


FH is definately the best step dad that I could have EVER asked for my kids to have.
The best husband, the best friend.
I don't know what I would do without this man.

And I hope I never have to find out.

PS Alex loves her stepdad so much that last night, in Walgreens, I spotted her checking out the Rogaine. She told me "let me look at this stuff, Michael could use it!"


Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. Lora... I am crying right now. I got goosebumps reading this. I agree... amazing doesn't do it justice. I am so happy for you and your family. Beautifully done, ladyfriend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. = ) I didn't know Michael was Chinese lol. Alex is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looove this post :) FH is a great step dad and I am so very happy that yall found each other! And I love that there was plenty of girls nights mixed in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest post! I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww I got the warm fuzzies reading this post! I love it :) What a keeper you have lady! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post! The comment about being Chinese was too funny. I'm so glad you've found someone that makes you so happy. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom remarried when I was 5, and
    I started calling my step dad, dad. He's been there for me my whole life and loved me through those difficult teen years. Helped send me to college... I love my step dad. Glad your girls got a good one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally crying right now. This is the sweetest thing I've ever read. It takes a special man to step up and do that. My niece has a step dad who is unbelievable. Reminds me of FH, the guns and fishing and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post and glad you found the one lady! And I LMAO at the Rogaine thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I had an awesome step dad too! Well done momma!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a child of divorce (even though I was 17 when it happened), I love this. Too many people have shitty relationships with their step parents. I'm happy to have good ones with mine. I think it is even more important when the step parent is in their lives for longer (meaning comes in when they're younger).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great guy! I can tell b/c he smiles in the pictures! My big pet peeve, jerk dads/husbands/boyfriends who don't smile in pics w/ their loved ones. Anywho, great post!!! You 3 girls are lucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this big, goofy grin on my face right now from reading your post. You two--no, you FOUR--are adorable. I love that you still call him FH and that your girls are so comfortable with him. How did you two meet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is amazing! As a mom of twins who also went through a divorce and was scared to death of dating as a single mom, I completely understand! And it brings happy tears to my eyes to hear how wonderful he is not only to you, but to your girls! How blessed you all are :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. first, this is a sweet and truly interesting post. I love it.
    second i busted out laughing when I read if they asked his he was Chinese. hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, I'm cryin too Lindsey boo. Lora, you kill me, in a good way. You and the girls are so lucky you found such a wonderful man like FH. Prince Charming fell from the sky! I love it, love your story, love you!

    Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a sweet post :) and I LOVE the Chinese part hahah so funny!!!! Glad you told that story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just recently found your blog through Mama Laughlin. I needed this post. It was beautiful (and beautifully written). I have just started dating a guy with a little boy and I was about to throw the towel in and call it quits because it's so hard to schedule time together - but I really like this guy and we too have talked very early on that we might have a future. You two worked it out...maybe we can too. It's hard, but just maybe it's really worth it. And he looks like he sees how blessed he is to have your girls in his life... Thanks for posting today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww this is so awesome! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You ladies are so lucky! and so is he.

    ReplyDelete