Jan 30, 2013

I'm a Runner, HOLLA!

You know what I realized tonight?
I'm a runner.
 
No, I'm not fast.
No, I can't run far yet.
But I AM a runner.
 
Want to know why?
Because my legs hurt...and instead of appreciating this break from sweating, it is killing me.
Straight up KILLING me.
I need to sweat.
I need to burn.
I need to run.
 
Don't get my wrong,
I love to be lazy.
And I'm lazy pretty often.
 
I've been sick for 3 days.
I can't breath through my nose
{disgusting, I know}
but all I can think about is WHEN CAN I RUN?
 
Who am I??
I'm not even sure anymore...but I know that I love running.
 
I love how I can be having the worst day ever and then when I go pound some pavement, it makes me feel better.
Listening to music, thinking about goals, analyzing how I am going to accomplish those goals, motivating myself, imagining how I am going to post a fast pace on IG, and just having time to think.
Running is my jam.
 
I've always loved sports.
I mean LOVED sports.
 
In high school, I played volleyball, basketball, softball, and tennis.
I even cheered once or twice but only so I could ride the bus to football games.
I was always active, it was like breathing to me.
 
Then came college.
I still played sports, I was still active.....
but after college, I lost myself.
 
I became a Mom, a wife, a student again, and I lost myself.
It wasn't about me. Ever.
 
I'm still a mom and a wife and now a career woman....and it's SO EASY as a mom to lose yourself.
To not make time for yourself.
To do that load of laundry or those dishes instead of going for a run.
To sweep the floor instead of making it to that class at the gym.
For one rest day to turn into months.
 
BUT YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.
If making you happy leaves a few dishes in the sink, who cares?
 
 
I'm teaching my kids that it's good to be active.
My kids may not have a mom that fits into a size 4 jeans, but they know that Mom runs and goes to the gym and pays attention to calories.
They are learning from me.
And when I run, I'm happier.
Which makes me a better mom.
Isn't that what we all want to be anyways?
 
I have my first 10K next Saturday.
I should be scared.
I should be worried about not finishing....
but instead, all I can think about is making sure I can breath through my nose by then so that I can run.
 
I don't need a pair of high heels to make me feel like a woman, my running shoes make me feel like Superwoman and I don't even have to remove my cape when I get home to do the Mom gig.
 
Are you a runner?
Do you even realize it yet?
Or are you just starting out?
I read an interesting blog post here that some of you might enjoy reading...just thought I would share.
 
Here's to hoping I am back to rockstar status and can run soon!

Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely .LOVE. this post!
    I was notorious for diets, losing 20 lbs, falling off the wagon, and gaining all my weight plus sum back. Then I made the decision to seriously change my life. When I started my journey I weighed 302 pounds (I just gave birth to my youngest daughter). At that time I couldn't even walk a mile without being exhausted. But I was determined to change. I had to. My life depended on it and I NEVER want my daughters to face the weight struggles I have had so I had to be a role model to them! Today I am 54 pounds later and have signed up for my first 5k on March 30. I have fallen in love with running. I don't get the chance to get outside to run, but I have a treadmill and absolutely love pounding out the miles on that thing. Today I did my best time, 5k in 39:58. I am so proud of that. 54 pounds ago running was a dream and now it's a reality!

    You are so absolutely right about teaching your children to be active and pay attention to food. We are the ones giving them a foundation to healthy habits for the rest of their lives. I love that I am now giving my girls that foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this post too :) Good luck and I hope you feel better - Im trying to teach my daughter the same things :) I am just starting out but I ran today and as much as it hurt - finishing felt better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I love that you are showing your girls the importance of exercise and healthy eating. The other day my sister was telling someone that I was a runner. I was so proud. That's not something I ever imagined I could be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me so happy! I was just getting into a running groove when I got a cold and my legs have been jittery to get back out there. I walked with my friend today so I feel better but I am going to go pound some pavement tomorrow. I know you've got that 10k in the bag! Go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duh! You are totally a runner! You motivated me to run! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading a post of a friend's about a year ago when she realized she was a runner. I am not a runner, but I loved hers and love this.

    And I'm so glad you're teaching your kids the importance of being active. I wish everyone was doing that!

    I've gotten back on the exercise horse in a serious way the last two weeks, and I feel so much better already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! Can't wait to hear about your 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg the katniss picture just became my new focal point during a work out. I love you hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I just realized not too long ago that I am, in fact, a runner. It only took me 6 months. :) Good luck on your 10K!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post. I like the comment about not needing heels to feel like a woman. Sometimes I do feel like I need to be Superwoman to keep up with Bennett. Hopefully, getting back in shape will help reach my goal of being a better mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I recently decided I was a runner as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post! I'm a runner now as well :) It took me a while to realize it, but that's what I am. I'm certainly not fast, but I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great post. I would call myself a runner too, even if I don't go far. If you run consistently you are a runner!

    ReplyDelete