Sep 26, 2013

That Baby is Coming out, like Right Now

In case you missed part one of this story, you can read it here.

So, what did you just say?
I would be in the hospital until the baby was due....you realize that the baby isn't due
until Christmas right?
And it's September currently, correct?

A million thoughts went through my head.
Mainly, that I was going to get fired because no way could I miss work that long.
Oh and that if I were in the hospital that long BEFORE the baby got here, what would I do
once he got here? Miss more work? Or not have to worry about it at all since I would be unemployed??

I kept telling myself that no matter what happened, it will all work itself out.
I get this attitude from my mom, and I appreciate it.
No matter what, it could always be worse. It will be okay.
What's that they say? It will all come out in the wash.

So, once we got into a room, they had to put an IV in.
Easy, right?
WRONG.
My hands were so swollen that you couldn't get to a vein.
In fact, you know how you can blow up a platstic glove and make a balloon?
That's what my hands were like.
I lost count after I was poked about 12 times.
Each nurse that tried would get the needle in, but it wouldn't thread...whatever that means.
To me it just meant that they were able to stab me with the needle, only to have to take it out and
try all over again.
I could tell it was extrememly frustrating to each of them.
And I was able to appreciate the fact that throughout all of their stabbing, they felt horrible about it.
Of course, this doesn't make it hurt any less.
But I could tell that I was being taken care of really, really well. So that was something.

Finally, after calling in the anesthesia guy (I think that's who it was) and him failing, and then calling
in his boss, we had an IV.
At the same time, we had an ultrasound going.
Another lady was waiting to give me a steroid shot for Baby Harper's lungs to develop....and she realized she had no fighting chance of getting me free enough to shoot me in the hip, so she just stabbed me in the thigh.
She said "Normally, we don't do it like this but given the circumstances..." And she stabbed me.
Also, another girl decided to go ahead and do my catheter. Why not? There wasn't much going on...

I had like 10 people around me, doing things to me, scaring me.
I just remember crying.
I was so scared for the baby...and I had no idea what was going to happen at this point.
NO IDEA.

As they were doing the ultrasound, I felt an excruciating pain in my stomach.
I knew it wasn't normal. At all.
It felt like there was a hole in my stomach. And the hole was numb.
I know that is a confusing description, but that's the best I got.
And I FREAKED OUT.
And so did everyone else in the room.

That's when the doctor said, "Lora, this is too dangerous. For you and the baby. We are going to have this baby right now."

This baby?? You mean the one who is supposedly the size of a cucumber and hasn't even reached the 3rd trimester?? Are you completely sure?

To be continued.....

Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. I'm in tears reading this. Your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in tears reading this. Your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for Harper, and keeping you all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cue the tears! OMG, I can't even imagine what you were feeling and are still feeling! You have been so strong through out this! I admire you for keeping your head high and seeing the positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl, I so remember that with Reese! She was not near as early as baby Harper but it was So Scary! I was so swollen they could not get my IV started either but my BP was not as high as yours you posted yesterday and they were able to give me the steroids and monitor her by ultrasound for I think 2 days before they had to take her. I know this is such a scary time for you and your family and you are in my Constant thoughts and Prayers! I wish there was something else I could do for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story has my stomach in knots - I can't even imagine the fear you and your family must have been in. Praying for HK! He's a fighter, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness...I can't even imagine. Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. I've only been following your blog for a short while, but from what I can tell your entire family is strong, so I know HK got those genes too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lora, this is crazy!!! I am breathing fast and my stomach is in knots!! Wow, you're a good story teller and you leave some crazy cliff hangers! Even knowing how this story goes (sort of) it's keeping me on the edge of my seat!

    Not sure how you survived all the needle pokes, which is the least of it, but still, not cool.

    How's the little guy doing? I saw the pic of his eye open, does he wake up some? Do you get to touch him? when do the girls get to meet him?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really put my stomach in knots...can't imagine how scary this was for you! Hope all of you are doing as well as you can...praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete