Sep 25, 2013

Just a Little Headache

Thursday night was a normal night.
I was swollen, like I've been for awhile.
And in case you were wondering, my doctor knew I was swollen.
But with perfect blood pressure, there was nothing to worry about.
We were monitoring it.
As long as my bp stayed down, the swelling was normal.
Not comfortable, but normal.

I was up a lot with a headache.
Tossing and turning, but let's be honest, I've been doing that most of this pregnancy, so no big deal.

Friday was a big day at work.
Like one of my biggest of the year.
And I can't tell you that I love my job, but I can tell you that I take pride in what I do.
In other words, on an important day like that, pretty much nothing could make me call in and
let everyone at work down.

I knew I felt awful Friday morning and once I got out of the shower, I realized that I just
couldn't go to work.
My head hurt so badly that I could barely open my eyes.
I've never had migraines before, but it was obvious that I had one.
So I called in....and slept the ENTIRE day.
And still felt awful.

And then I repeated that on Saturday.
We went to the girls' volleyball games on Saturday because there aren't that many of them so
I would hate to let Kate down by not showing up.
Do you realize how often they blow a whistle at a volleyball game??
I'm here to tell you that it's A LOT.
Like a lot, A LOT.

Sunday was worse.
I didn't sleep. Time was seriously ticking by and I had no idea what to do.
I couldn't eat, I couldn't see straight. It was just pretty miserable.
But to me, I just knew I had to tough it out.
Being pregnant is not easy, especially for me.
For some reason, I just don't do pregnant well, so I figured this was just another day.

FH kept checking on me all throughout the day on Sunday, since I was in bed.
Finally around Sunday afternoon he came in from cutting the grass and I guess he just
realized that I was going downhill.
He wanted me to call the doctor.
My face was so swollen at this point, that my eyes were almost swollen shut.
My neck had rolls, like swollen rolls. It was quite disgusting.
Basically it was not your average swelling.
Hands and feet, even my legs have been constantly swollen.
But my face looking like I had gotten attacked by a swarm of bees was a new look....one that was not
working for me.

The doctor told me to come in and get my blood pressure tested.
And she said that if it was fine then they would just send me home with some migraine medicine,
no big deal.
So of course I thought, no big deal.
We left the house with just that thought, we would be right back.......

My mom met us at the hospital and as soon as she saw my face she was in shock.
She had seen me the day before too so she had something to compare it to.
It was bad.

The nurse took my bp and thought her machine was messed up.
I'm not sure what it read. I was alone and freaking out.
Then FH came into the room and it read 215/110....or something along those lines.
Out of control.
She immediately told me they were admitting me.
And we were in shock.
We just wanted my headache to go away, not an overnight stay in the hospital.

And then my doctor told me that I would be at the hospital at least until the baby was born.......

To be continued. Pin It Now!

18 comments:

  1. Oh Lora, this sounds awful. So glad Harper made it past 72 hours. Praying for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lora. That sounds terrible. You are so lucky nothing worse happened to you going that many days like that. You are a trooper. It's easy to see where little Harper gets his fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine how scary the weekend, especially Sunday could have been for you. What a whirlwind! Still praying and keeping you, Harper and the rest of the family in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds horrifying. I bet it was all so surreal. To go through that kind of pain and then have to comprehend too what was happening and going on. I am so sorry you had to experience this. I keep saying how strong of a person you are and this, this my friend is going to make you that much stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness so scary! Prayers are still coming! I love through the scary you still crack me up with the neck rolls comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smokes!! How scary!!! Glad u weren't alone and that FH made the decision to take u to the hospital!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so freakin' scary... I hate that you've had to go through this and that Harper has such a fight ahead of him... BUT, so thankful for your safety!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sweet Lora... I am nervous just reading this.. Awaiting the rest of the story and praying and thinking of you all constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot imagine what that must have been like. You are all in my prayers and will continue to be. So glad you had FH there to make you call the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry for not coming to your house Saturday morning and forcing you to go to the doctor even if it pissed you off, lol. I didn't realize that you were that sick when we texted. You down played it and I assumed everything would be ok :( I'm sorry, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my sweet, sweet Lora! This is so scary and I can't even begin to imagine how you must have been feeling! First, just the pain and then the worry! Praying! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for you and your sweet baby boy. All of your posts on IG have been so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love you girl! I'm mailing a box to two special big sisters this weekend... That's right, I know your address we are officially friends for lifeeeeee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So very scary.. Praying and thinking of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine how scared and helpless you must have felt with all of this. I'm so thankful that you and baby Harper are safe...I've been thinking of you two and your family daily and have sent lots of love to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate that you had to go through that. I'm so glad FH got you to call a doctor. Still praying for you and baby Harper!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. My heart aches for you and your family, I'm so glad you are doing better and I pray that baby Harper continues to stay strong and grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a slight idea of what you went through... After a shower one day I got a major headache- probably a migraine, but I did not know. I mentioned it to my mother-in-law in an imessage & less than 30 minutes later (it takes 35 minutes to get from there house to mine normally) they showed up without warning. My FIL took my bp and it was WAY too high and I called the doctor and went to the hospital. I ended up being induced. Never underestimate a headache when pregnant I guess,

    Your weekend sounded so rough, you poor thing! Sending good thoughts your way still!

    ReplyDelete