Aug 23, 2013

Goodbye Free Time

I love that my kids love sports.
If they didn't, I probably would have had to adopt more.
I super big puffy heart love sports.
And if I am too old and fat and out of shape to play them myself,
then the next best thing is to be a sports mom.
The kind that does NOT have 400 stickers on the back of her minivan.
Just so we are clear.

The girls have been active in sports since they started playing in the
outfield dirt softball at 3.
But this is the first year that they can play school sports.
Which is SO EXCITING!



Alex is cheering.
Which is not my cup of tea.
But it is SO HER and she is LOVING it.
I can already tell that this is going to be her thing.



Kate is playing volleyball.
Which I love!
Unfortunately the 5th and 6th grade team only plays like 6 Saturdays
and then practices twice a week.
It's a nice way to get them into the sport when first starting out.
And let's be honest, I would have killed just to do this in the 5th
grade.
The girls go to the same school that I went to and we definitely
didn't have sports for elementary kids.

Kate is also water girl for the football team.
This works well because she has to be at all the football games anyways.
And it gives her something to do without having to cheer.
Cheering is so not her thing.
I can tell it's building her confidence and I think that's great.
She has to run out on the field and throw bottles of water and boys.
That takes some courage.



It's a lot of work to keep both schedules straight.
There is some kind of practice or game almost every day.
And of course we have to fit homework in there too.
But this is the beginning of many, many years of juggling sports.
I hope!

My mom told me some of her favorite memories came from sitting
in the bleachers watching me play ball.
She was the best sports mom ever, never missing a single game.
And let's be honest, when you play volleyball, softball, basketball, and
tennis, there's a lot of games to go to.

I hope that I can be the cheerleader that my Mom was.
I hope that I can yell for my kids but not embarass them.
Encourage them but not overwhelm them.
And most of all, I just hope I can appreciate every single moment
of them making memories. And enjoy this year even if this pregnant
lady is DYING in the heat, because next year there will be a baby
to haul to all these games. :)




Go Rebels!!!
Happy Friday Friends! :)
Pin It Now!

7 comments:

  1. Sports + homework is killing me. It's hard being a 5th grade mom, but you're right, gotta enjoy every little minute of it. We will miss it like crazy when it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know how you do it with two kids in activities! I only have a 3 year old in swimming twice a week, but working, breastfeeding a baby and getting everything done around the house is KILLING me and Its only my first week back to work!!! I love your attitude - you're all "bring it on!" I hope I can have that attitude when I'm knee deep in it in a few years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww love this - what adorable girls...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this! But please make sure you don't end up with those god awful stickers on the back of your car....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for cheerleading!!! I was one and loved every minute of it! And for K being so brave to 'hang w/ the boys', that's awesome b/c I was a chicken shit and never would have had the courage to do so! Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was not into sports as a kid because my parents were pretty meh about it, but I can't wait until my nugget is big enough to play sports!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love being a sports mom. You're right, it's a LOT to juggle but you just get the hang of it and I know we're all making great memories! Emily is a cheerleader too... not my thing either but she LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete