Jan 23, 2014

Busy Bees

A lot has been going on lately in the StYoung household.
I knew life with 3 kids would be busy....I just didn't realize how busy.
Then again, I couldn't have predicted the daily roadtrips to the hospital...

But it's busy!

5th grade homework WILL be the death of me.
They are on the verge of being able to just go to their rooms and finish it
on their own.....but still really needed lots of help. Mixed in with a bit of whining.

I still go to the hospital every single day.
122 days and I haven't missed one....but what Mom would??

K&A started basketball...and this year it is intense!!
Like full court intense...and I love it!!!
I can't wait to take BH to a game with us.

They also sang in the talent show...yes, I said they sang.
Which made me really nervous! But I can honestly say they did great.
Kate shocked me with carrying a tune pretty well and Alex was alllll over that stage!



Oh, and in other news....our youngest child is OXYGEN FREE!!!!
How awesome is that?!

We knew that he was doing well with his breathing, we just didn't realize how well.
They were suppose to turn down his oxygen to next-to-nothing on Monday.
I felt like the nurse did it wrong....obviously I have been there a lot so I know how to change it.
But ya know, I'm not a nurse.
I said something about it. She had another nurse come verify that she did it right.
And told me she would ask the respiratory nurse to look at it to make sure.
But his numbers were perfect and he was doing well so I forgot about it.

Come to find out, the next day, (almost 24 hours later!!!) the respiratory nurse came in
and said that his oxygen was turned off....so I was right!
She accidentally turned it off instead of down.
So he was oxygen free.
Needless to say, they took his cannula off his face that day.
And he is soooo handsome without it.




And, if all goes well, he will be going home on Monday.
I am beyond excited about this....but I'm trying my best not to get TOO excited.
If I've learned anything during our NICU stay, it's that it ain't over til it's over.

I have no doubt that there will be tears as we walk away from that hospital.
Tears of joy and tears of sadness.....only because we are closing a huge chapter.
I may not have enjoyed every minute that we've been there, but it's been "home"
for almost 4 months. And I've made friends with nurses. And I'm walking away with
a healthy child....and there were moments when I didn't know if I would walk away
empty handed one day or not.

It's been tough, but totally worth it.
This little guy has taught me so much over his short 4 months in this world so far.

Someone at work told me today something that really made sense.
She said:

"It really is amazing how God prepares you for hard times because you have had practice with the crazy schedules in the past with school, working, and raising twins all at the same time."

(Thanks Leslie!!!)

I haven't thought of that before, but it's so true.
I went to college when I had 3 month old twins.
Then I went back for a second degree when I was a single Mom to 5 year old twins.
I went without sleep. I went without free time. I went without rest.
And survived on willpower and determination. (And Ramen noodles.)
And just like that, God was preparing me for bigger things in life.
A NICU stay that would test my strength, my faith, and my determination.
And he gave me a perfect husband to lean on.

God is so good.
Thanks for following along with our story....please stay tuned for a pic of Harper in his nursery.
I can't wait to finally have him home!!! Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. I have SO looked forward to this day for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I am so happy he is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so happy for you and yours!! I absolutely love your outlook on this experience and your unwavering faith, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a beautifuly boy, just so, so handsome. I want to squeeze that face.

    Now about the nurse who turned the oxygen off instead of down...what if this happened to a baby that did need it?? That could not be good right? That is really scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear that he will finally be coming home. He looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you and your family!! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have goosebumps just imagining you walking through the door to your home filled with five people instead of four! So happy for your Lora!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow he is SO cute! I am so glad to hear he is doing well and I have loved reading his story...so eye-opening and you are such a strong momma!!! All the best to you and your wonderful little family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!!! And he's such a cutie! Hope it all goes well and your family is all home together come Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God!! You have a handsome little fella. And he will be coming home so soon!!! I am so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy your family will finally all be together and BH is doing so well. BH is lucky to have such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so awesome! And what a great message at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots going on in your family and even more to come. Saying a prayer that you have wonderful news come Monday and a wonderful much needed Home Coming!!!

    ReplyDelete