Apr 1, 2014

10 Things I Need my Daughters to Know


1. Don't compare yourself to your sister. I don't care if you have 6 sisters or you only have 1, don't compare yourself to them or any other woman. God made us each special and unique, and I, for one, believe that makes us each awesome in our own way.

2. Don't believe everything somebody tells you. Especially now that the internet is at the tip of your fingers. Do some reasearch. Find out some information on your own. Form your own opinions. And most importantly, just because you read it on the internet, does not make it true.

3. Boys. We aren't going to get into the birds and the bees here, but remember that every boyfriend that you have is a potential husband. If you wouldn't bring him home to meet your parents, he's not good enough for one date. If you don't think he would make a great father, then he's not worth one date. And if he doesn't treat you right, let me know and I will beat him up.....and he's really obviously not worth one date then. Hold out until you find one that is worth a lot more than a first date.

4. Friends. It's all about quality, not quantity. I don't care if your friends are the most popular kids in school or the biggest dorks ever, find some to develop deep, loyal, lifelong friendships with. I still have some of the same friends that I had in elementary school and I love that. Good friends are hard to come by, so once you make them, hold on tight to them.

Also, please note, #4 is more important than #3, at least until you are married.

5. Enemies. First off, you shouldn't have any. Be nice, don't give anyone a reason to not like you. But the cold hard truth is that not everyone will like you. Some girls will talk bad about you behind your back. It doesn't matter why they don't like you, it only matters how you handle it. Be nice to those that are mean to you. Love one another. Of course they may not change, but just be the girl that is nice to everyone.

6. Your faith. {Obviously these are in no particular order.} Hold tight to what you believe in. Know that God is always with you. As the saying goes, "don't tell your God how big your problems are, tell your problems how big your God is".

7. Don't drink and drive. Just call me. Yes, I will probably ground you. Yes, it will make me sad that you put yourself in such a situation. But call me, and I'll come get you. No matter what time it is.
Obviously this one doesn't apply until WAY later in life. Like when you are 25 or so. Obviously.

8. You can't take back words that you say. Think before you speak. Always.

9. Remember, at any given point, someone could take a picture of you. Once there is a picture of you, it's out there. Once it's on the internet, it can't be gotten rid of. Don't do something that you wouldn't want someone to take a picture of. What if you want to run for president one day? Be aware of what people would find if they googled your name....and definitely make sure you run for president one day. :)

10. I will always love you. No matter what you do. No matter how many times you argue with your sister, no matter how much I ground you, no matter how many times that I literally want to pull your hair out because you drive me so nuts. I love you. And nothing will change that. Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. Love this. Love every single one. Definitely a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these, I am totally guilty of number 1 though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing mother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing mother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these, Lora. All so true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish posts like this would go viral...THESE are the lists people need to be hearing. LOVE this. Such a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any children but if I did I would show this to them for sure. This is a great list of guidelines for anyone to follow! I shared it on my facebook page immediately! Thanks Lora.

    ReplyDelete