Nov 21, 2013

60 Days

I'm just gonna come right out and say this.
I'm tired.
Like really, really tired.
I feel like I never get caught up on sleep.
I know this is normal for a new mom, but I just want to sit at home in my PJs.
And hold my baby.

Today marks 60 days that BH has been in the hospital.
60 long days.
And I haven't missed a single day there with him.
I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I really wish I could leave work and go straight
home to bed.
But I know I'd miss him too much.
It's like a tiny part of me is sitting in that little isolette that he still calls a bed.
And I just have to be near him.

The problem is, I have other kids.
And a husband who sees me just in passing these days.
FH normally takes the girls home early from the hospital so I can
stay and have more quiet time with BH.
Luckily, FH has turned into quite the superdad.
He does the dishes, the laundry, homework, tucks them in at night.
Everything and anything he can to help since I'm never home.

It's sad though.
Sad to hear my girls tell me they miss me.
Sad to have to facetime them a goodnight kiss because they will be asleep
by the time I get home.
But it's necessary.
And hopefully will all be over soon when we bring that little stud home.

BH is doing great so far.
He is gaining weight like a champ. Currently sitting at 3 lbs, 7 ounces.
We were told that with most micropreemies, it takes what feels like forever for them to reach 3 lbs.
And then once they do, they start packing on the lbs.
Man, they weren't playing.
He gained that 7 ounces in less than a week!
He is really starting to get some meat on his bones.
And his little chubby cheeks are just out of this world.
I could stare at him all day long.

And that smile!
I know it might just be a little bit of gas, but I don't care, as long as he's smiling!

He has 2 days left on his antibiotics and then we are done with those.
Hopefully next week, he will start attempting to drink from a bottle.

I'm really nervous about the bottle.
He knows how to suck, I know that from him going to town on his paci.
But the thing is, he has to learn how to suck, swallow, and breathe all at the same time.
This is a huge obstacle for most preemies and will take him awhile to get it down.

He has to gain weight for 3 more days (5 days in a row) and be able to hold
his temperature and then he will get moved to a flat bed instead of his isolette.
This will be great because it's really hard to see him in that box!

He's currently on the CPAP breathing machine and doing well.
I pray that he moves to the last breathing machine soon and handles it well.
I know it sounds super selfish of me, but I really don't want him to come home on oxygen.
Lots of preemies do, and it's really not that big of a deal.
But I am praying so hard that once he leaves that hospital, he never looks back.
That he comes home with absolutely no reminder of being forced into an early birth.
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I'd rather him stay just a little bit longer there if he needs to
in order to come home with his face free of all tape, prongs, or other gadgets.

I mean, it's just a crying shame to cover this handsome face up with anything.


That hair. It kills me. It makes him look like a 100 year old man and a precious baby all at once.
I have lots of closeups like this because when I hold him, I just want to cherish the moment.
And remember forever.

One day when he is driving me nuts because he won't stop talking. Or he is too needy. Or cries too much. I want to remember how I stopped my entire world every chance I could just to sit with him like this. I'm grateful that we have these memories together.

In "the real world", I'm a fast paced, on the go Mom.
Only because he is in the NICU do I get to stop everything else and just be with him.
Never have I ever sat still for 3 hours, except during our holding time.
And I'm grateful that his hospital stay has made this possible.

I'm not going to lie. I've gotten to where I love our Friday nights.
I spend the night with him every Friday night. It's our slumber party time.
When I'm at the NICU, I can just be.
I don't have to worry about folding laundry or doing dishes. Or all the million things I should be doing. I just get to relax and know that I'm there just in case anything happens.

Don't worry, I reserve Saturday nights for the girls and FH.
And I do my best not to fall asleep at 7 on those nights so that I can spend enough time with them.

We still don't know when he will be home.
It's almost impossible to tell until we see how he does with a bottle. And on the next breathing machine.
But I'm praying for December. And won't lose my cool if it's not until January.
Anything after that though is just unacceptable.
You hear me Harper?!

Thank you for following along on our journey to bringing this sweet boy home.
I look forward to the day that I can say "remember when BH was in the NICU...."



Until then, we'll just keep on keepin' on!
Happy Thursday everybody. :) Pin It Now!

17 comments:

  1. Those pictures brought a big smile to my face, he is doing so wonderful!!!! I remember when my brother was a baby he looked like a little old man, my mom would dress him up in suspenders and bow ties and he looked so gosh darn cute!!! We were both pretty bald till about age 2 but he was much cuter bald than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first picture is one of the sweetest pictures I have ever seen. And he looks so big in that second picture! I don't know how you do it Wonder Woman, but you are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing woman, Lora! I can't imagine how hard this has been on all of you to spend so much time away. I'll continue to pray for your family. Grow, Harper, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Glad he is doing so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, it's just so real and heart warning. I can't wait for you to be able to take BH home. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you and your family and that handsome little fellow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading these updates. You are a super woman and you have obviously passed the "super" gene onto your little man. He is so precious with his chubby little cheeks.

    I'm praying he will be home soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of Harper smiling... That made my ovaries hurt. I think I may have released an egg. He is so precious. I've been following your updates in IG and love all of the pictures you post. I can't wait to see the day that you tell us he is coming home. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. That's an amazing little boy you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean he looks so big to me! He is growing so much- you can see the change in his arms, legs, face- everywhere! That is just amazing! Keep going Harper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Harper! Just look at that smile! I cannot believe the change in him already!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing and he is beautiful. His pictures make my heart melt and me smile every time. I love him and he is not even mine. You are a bright spot in all of our lives. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY for 3.7!!! Gain Harper, gain!!!

    Continued prayers for you, Harper and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that smile! It will get easier faster than you think and then you can keep being exhausted lol But you will get to be exhausted with everyone under one roof:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an amazing mom!!! Praying for a BH to be home for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. UGh! I am so crying at my desk right now Lora!!! You have the most handsome little boy. My boy isn't having near the problems of yours and I get to bring him home at night but I get just wanting him, just wanting to snuggle him, make him all better, and say "remember when". I love my daughter. To pieces. Oh but those quiet times with Mama's boy, there are just amazing. I think of you and Harper daily. I think of how hard it must be leaving your daughters and husband and then leaving Harper at night. I think of how you never get to sleep or rest soundly because you are constantly without one child or another. I pray for the day you and FH can sprawl out in bed watching a Christmas movie with all 3 of your beautiful children and say "Remember When". My love, thoughts, and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a journey. I'm glad you can look ahead to those moments of 'remember when' instead of feeling isolated in this moment all the time. Keeping my fingers crossed for no later than January!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing, Lora. I couldn't imagine how hard it is for you with having the girls at home. They seem very understanding which is good, and FH being a superdad is amazing. It can't be easy for them to miss you, but your little family will get to be together all in one place before you know it! :-)
    And still loving Harper's progress, that boy is a champ for sure!

    ReplyDelete